This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big files

I've been using FTM for quite a while now. My family tree has grown to over 17,000 people and the file is over 530 MB. FTM doesn't seem to be able to handle this file very well; it has gotten ridiculously slow.

Can Reunion 11 handle files this size any better? I have a license for Reunion 9 and I'm considering upgrading, but only if it looks like I can do any better.

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Big files

Originally posted by BDelph View Post
    I've been using FTM for quite a while now. My family tree has grown to over 17,000 people and the file is over 530 MB. FTM doesn't seem to be able to handle this file very well; it has gotten ridiculously slow.

Can Reunion 11 handle files this size any better? I have a license for Reunion 9 and I'm considering upgrading, but only if it looks like I can do any better.

Thanks for any advice.
    Reunion does just fine with large files. When you get up to several hundred thousand people, you may want to turn off automatic relationship calculations, but otherwise no concessions need be made.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Thanks for any advice.
      158,445 as of this moment. No problems!

Comment

Thanks for any advice.
        I have 4 family files: 2326, 17329, 24150 and 48210 people. All goes well.
        Réal Rodrigue {Rodrigue, Rioux, Labrecque, Pearson ...}
        http://www.rodrigue.phpnet.org/
        Reunion 10.0.6 & 11.0.6; Reunion for iPad; Reunion for iPhone
        MacBook Pro — OSX 10.10.5 ; iPhone 5 — iOS 9.0.2 ; iPad Mini 2 Retina — iOS 9.0.2
        Firefox, Safari, Chrome

Comment

I have a file with 157,000 names ( Size of family file is 103 MB with an additional 173 MB for thumbnails)
          In R11 I once had the file corrupted but resumed from the previous day back up copy.

So no problems with its size.
          Alain Farhi
          http://www.farhi.org

Comment

I've been using FTM for quite a while now. My family tree has grown to over 17,000 people and the file is over 530 MB. FTM doesn't seem to be able to handle this file very well; it has gotten ridiculously slow.......Thanks for any advice.
            While I root for you to return to Reunion, this may not be a FTM problem. How are your other applications running? Are any others also sluggish? Does the Finder seem to drag speed-wise? It may be that your Mac needs some TLC.
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
              While I root for you to return to Reunion, this may not be a FTM problem. How are your other applications running? Are any others also sluggish? Does the Finder seem to drag speed-wise? It may be that your Mac needs some TLC.
              Bob

As a refugee from FTM both under Windows and Mac I am not surprised by what BDelph says. FTM when used with other than a compact number of people can be deadly slow.

What I would say is that from the described file size I suspect that there is a large amount of media attached of the source rather than photograph of individual/church etc type. My most recent file created with FTM 3 only comes in at the low 800MB from memory for a sevenfold increase in names.

As a baseline I have found that a FTM file without media at all was the same size as a Reunion file with.

Tony

Comment

Working...
              X