This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relationship ?

I enter names in my database for people who are not blood relatives but who are linked by marriage. I have names of famous people in my database but since i have over 111,000 records in my database, I have don't know which side of the family they are linked (my wife or mine)! So lets say, I have President James Madison in my database...who is he linked to...my wife's side or mine??? Is there a way I can find this out?
    For God and Country

Re: Relationship ?

Originally posted by Brelsford Family View Post
    I enter names in my database for people who are not blood relatives but who are linked by marriage. I have names of famous people in my database but since i have over 111,000 records in my database, I have don't know which side of the family they are linked (my wife or mine)! So lets say, I have President James Madison in my database...who is he linked to...my wife's side or mine??? Is there a way I can find this out?
    I think you should be able to use 'Find Relatives' in the sidebar. First make sure you are on the President James Madison family card. Then click on Relatives at the lower right. At the left you will see relatives of a source person. The source person is at the top. If it is not President James Madison, click the change button on the upper right and choose President James Madison.

One thing I did early on is create flags for each of my major lines. Every time I add a new person, I flag him with a family line. This makes it easy to tell at a glance who he belongs to, as well as giving me a quick way to export everybody associated with a particular line.
    Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
      .............One thing I did early on is create flags for each of my major lines. Every time I add a new person, I flag him with a family line. This makes it easy to tell at a glance who he belongs to, as well as giving me a quick way to export everybody associated with a particular line.
      Best idea I've seen here in several years! Wow! Guess who is going to become a flagger?
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Thanks Kim...that will definitely cut down on search time but I will still need to match up his relatives to any names in my (or my wife's) tree.

Using the flag is a great idea for sure!!!
        For God and Country

Comment

Working...
        X