This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gedcom

I want to export a gedcom file that includes sources but not the source details. I've checked the manual but can't see any way to do this. Is it possible?
    Thanks
    Jane

Re: Gedcom

Can anyone answer this? In the 'source detail' box I have a variety of comments, some of which I don't want to export. I can see how to exclude event memos but this has me stumped. I expect I'm missing something obvious.
    Thanks
    Jane

Comment

Jane,

I think you would have to use the sensitivity delimiters {} around each appropriate entry in your Reunion file and then invoke the sensitivity option in your Gedcom Export. Just call up the Help File and search for "Sensitivity".

The only alternative would be to directly edit the GEDCOM in a plain text editor to remove the sensitive comments, but that can be tricky.

Mervyn

Comment

Originally posted by Jane Davies View Post
        Can anyone answer this? In the 'source detail' box I have a variety of comments, some of which I don't want to export. I can see how to exclude event memos but this has me stumped. I expect I'm missing something obvious.
        Thanks
        Jane
        Jane,

Not sure if this is what you want. Did not try a report or GEDCOM.

Look at the Mac menu bar. Click on Reunion. Go to Preferences > Report > Options > Source.

When you click on "Source", the right side has a box for Citation Detail. One of the choices is "Ignore". You might experiment with this to see if it does what you want.

Hope this helps,
        Kaye
        Kaye Mushalik
        -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
        -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
        -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Originally posted by mjashby View Post
          I think you would have to use the sensitivity delimiters...
          Sensitivity applies to certain fields; but not the citation detail field. (See the manual.)
          Frank Leister
          Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
            ...Preferences > Reports > Source.
            When you click on "Source", the right side has a box for Citation Detail. One of the choices is "Ignore". You might experiment with this to see if it does what you want...
            This option applies to reports (not GEDCOM files).
            Frank Leister
            Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane Davies View Post
              I want to export a gedcom file that includes sources but not the source details. I've checked the manual but can't see any way to do this. Is it possible?
              You can't export a GEDCOM file with sources but without the contents of the citation detail field (assuming there are people in the file being exported).
              Frank Leister
              Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Thanks to all who took the trouble to reply. I can see I'm going to have to have a think about this....

Jane

Comment

It looks like you could edit the GEDCOM with a text editor and remove all lines that start with '3 PAGE '.
                  Surnames Dresch, Eyden, Lunn, Mountfort, Page, Robinson, Ryan, Whitworth, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Robinson View Post
                    It looks like you could edit the GEDCOM with a text editor and remove all lines that start with '3 PAGE '.
                    I have edited GEDCOM files with great success. Whether on a Mac or PC, the text editing program will have "Find" and "Find and Replace" menu items.

While it is simple to use these text editing functions to work systematically through the file to remove entire lines or strings of text, great caution must be exercised not to inadvertently remove other content (attention to detail!).
                    John in Brisbane, Australia
                    Reunion 12 & FTM on iMac, with Reunion & Ancestry on iPad & iPhone
                    Ancestry ID: johnmeara1
                    GEDmatch: A369974 & Admin for T578930, T249754, A943304, A193103, T826422

Comment

Originally posted by John Meara View Post
                      While it is simple to use these text editing functions to work systematically through the file to remove entire lines or strings of text, great caution must be exercised not to inadvertently remove other content (attention to detail!).
                      True enough, but this one is pretty simple, a one-time find/replace using GREP. For example, in TextWrangler if you search for:

^3 PAGE.*$

and replace it with nothing, you'll eliminate all lines beginning with 3 PAGE, and only those lines.

(Other GREP implementations may use slightly different incantations.)
                      Dennis J. Cunniff
                      Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by John Meara View Post
                        I have edited GEDCOM files with great success. Whether on a Mac or PC, the text editing program will have "Find" and "Find and Replace" menu items.

At the risk of being obvious, before editing the GEDCOM file with a text editor, create
                        a backup of the GEDCOM file and even put it in another directory. I have in the past also had great success editing GEDCOM files. They are only text files after all and
                        if you invest a little time to learn what the tags mean and how the file is structured,
                        it's not hard to do at all.

Comment

Working...
                        X