This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Map of All "Places"

In another genealogy program (that I used for many years, but changed when upgraded to macbook pros) I was able to create a list of all the Places, in alphabetical order with the name of the person with birth and death date - that I could then import into a word processor and customize. Don't get me wrong, I do absolutely love love love Reunion, especially the new version, but I cannot for the life of me find a way to duplicate this report/list/chart. My goal is to have a tool that I can use for multiple tasks: creating an itinerary for a road trip; researching specific families and persons on state or county websites; being thorough with a search in a research book relating to a specific geographic area; and another method to determine any errors otherwise unseen. Possibly making use of flags to distinguish only direct lines. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Map of All "Places"

Originally posted by darillyn View Post
    In another genealogy program (that I used for many years, but changed when upgraded to macbook pros) I was able to create a list of all the Places, in alphabetical order with the name of the person with birth and death date - that I could then import into a word processor and customize.
    I believe the Places report will give you what you're looking for -- open the Places List by clicking Lists in the Navbar at left, then selecting Places. Next, click the blue Share icon at the bottom of the List - Places window, set "Include" to "Places and Usage", set the "Destination" to your preferred word processor, then click the "Open with" button.

HTH
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Oh dear Mark - Now I have 230 pages and with ten times more data than I want. Now I have the opposite challenge: how to limit the amount of information included in the list. Perhaps this should be put on a wish list for another version. It seem to me to be a tool that would be very useful.

Comment

Oh dear Mark - Now I have 230 pages and with ten times more data than I want. Now I have the opposite challenge: how to limit the amount of information included in the list. Perhaps this should be put on a wish list for another version. It seem to me to be a tool that would be very useful.
        Select "Places" instead of "Places and Usage" and see if that isn't more like what you want...
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Oh dear Mark - Now I have 230 pages and with ten times more data than I want.
          I may have misunderstand what you wanted -- I thought you wanted a report for the whole family file, but perhaps you just want a per person report. If that's what you're looking for then no, this feature doesn't currently exist in Reunion (aside from looking at the person's Events list) and would be something for the wish list.
          Mark Harrison
          Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

The problem with using just "places" without "usage" is that additional research needs to be done within Reunion to determine with whom the place is associated, and for what event. If others would also like this type of report, perhaps it could be included in updates. I suppose I could gedcom my Reunion family file and import into the old genealogy program, and then create the report, but I would, of course, prefer to use Reunion.

Comment

I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but one way I've found to limit it is to open the Place sidebar and then search a location. Then follow the directions given here to open in your word processor.
              For example, I can type in 'Arizona' and it will only list places in Arizona and events associated with them. Or Cook County, Illinois, will give me all places and events in Cook County. This may not be exactly what you want, but it could help with your travel planning, if your goal is to visit some of the places associated with your research.
              Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
              http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Thanks Kim - Yes, that will be helpful when a general idea of an itinerary is in mind. I will definitely use that option, but would still like to have a three or four page (maybe 3 columns, 10 point, landscape) list/report of all my family's places, or at least of flagged persons. I've put a request on the wish list, and at this point will practice patience.

Thanks to all who have taken precious time to reply and share their knowledge.

Comment

I ... would still like to have a three or four page (maybe 3 columns, 10 point, landscape) list/report of all my family's places, or at least of flagged persons.
                  A workaround would be to mark all the people whose places you want in the report, export a family file with only the marked people, and then generate a places report.
                  Dennis J. Cunniff
                  Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
                    A workaround would be to mark all the people whose places you want in the report, export a family file with only the marked people, and then generate a places report.
                    Good idea, Dennis - I'll try that. The challenge is identifying which people - would be so much easier to identify the area and then work out an itinerary. Not really a catastrophe, but would be nice if included in a future update.

Comment

Good idea, Dennis - I'll try that. The challenge is identifying which people - would be so much easier to identify the area and then work out an itinerary. Not really a catastrophe, but would be nice if included in a future update.
                      You can use the Places sidebar to mark the people, then extract the people and print a places report.

For example, if you are going to Paris, and want all people associated with Paris, you highlight Paris in the places sidebar, make sure the Usage panel is showing, and mark everyone in that list. Keep on going for all the places you want to include.
                      Dennis J. Cunniff
                      Click here to email me

Comment

Reunion 9 had a List report that did exactly want you, but even more elegantly. You could chose an Event and get a list of Places associated with that Event, then for each Place a list of People associated with that Place and Event; and like other reports, you could chose what data attributes to appear for each person (that is what is missing from the R10/11 Places Report) and limit it to Marked people. I used this report multiple times a week to generate Burial Place Reports I sent to cousins in different states. I was shocked when R10 no longer had that capability. A few weeks ago I did a gedcom export of my 70,000 person database and loaded into R9 to generate a list of all burial sites in Virginia and the folks buried in each; this report was given out to some family members attend the reunion in Charlottesville and was a big hit. I've been begging for the return of this report or the enhancement of the current similar but data limited Places Report. Leister has indicated it is on their list of considerations. Now you can nag them too!
                        Joe M. Oglesby
                        http://MeriwetherSociety.org

Comment

Originally posted by jmo View Post
                          Reunion 9 had a List report that did exactly want you, but even more elegantly. You could chose an Event and get a list of Places associated with that Event, then for each Place a list of People associated with that Place and Event; and like other reports, you could chose what data attributes to appear for each person (that is what is missing from the R10/11 Places Report) and limit it to Marked people. I used this report multiple times a week to generate Burial Place Reports I sent to cousins in different states. I was shocked when R10 no longer had that capability. A few weeks ago I did a gedcom export of my 70,000 person database and loaded into R9 to generate a list of all burial sites in Virginia and the folks buried in each; this report was given out to some family members attend the reunion in Charlottesville and was a big hit. I've been begging for the return of this report or the enhancement of the current similar but data limited Places Report. Leister has indicated it is on their list of considerations. Now you can nag them too!
                          Will do -- I have an old copy of a report and didn't realize it was from R9 - I truly thought it was from FTM in about Y2000. Now, I will definitely stay on Leister's heels. Thanks for your insight.

Comment

Working...
                          X