X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fiancée status

Hello all.
    I am pondering the way the status of people who are Fiancées and living together are recorded.
    One young unmarried woman I have, is now engaged to marry an unmarried man, so they are engaged now as fiancées. They live together and are most likely to marry in 12 month's time. Because they have only met and moved in over the last 6 weeks, this is no guarantee that it will happen, as we all know of such cases.
    So I shall enter their partnership as DOMESTIC and leave the status as NONE.

No provision is made for any other realistic status. Can you enter 'separation' if the marriage does not happen? A messy option I am thinking.
    I would say there cannot be a divorce from an engaged (fiancée) partner, nor is there anything I could think of to show this. The relationship dissolves so leaves no trace? Or ?
    I know of a separated man while waiting for a divorce, moves in with a woman also in a separated position of many years. No intention was offered to marry each other and ultimately the partnership failed.
    Both parties actually finally divorced their prev. marriages. But they finaly separated.
    Sorry this sounds messy and my poor old mind sees it as such.
    Hopefully there will not be a complication of a pregnancy under the 'live together' status!
    Hope there is more than just adding a NOTE.... Or two.
    Regards. Noel
    Noel Fields Australia
    email > nefields@me.com <
    Researching Fields, Majewski, Watson, Hurwood, Parker.

Re: Fiancée status

If the relationship dissolves without issue, from a genealogical perspective, it basically never happened. From a family history perspective, it might possibly merit a note in my relative's Misc Notes, but I wouldn't be keeping a family card for the relationship.

If there is issue, then I would imagine the situation would clarify itself one way or another in a way that would help in documenting it.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Re: Fiancée status

As Tim said with an additional note. In some jurisdictions, long term cohabitation results in what is usually named a common law marriage. I do record these as such. For the situation that you describe, it only gets into my file if there are <smile> descendants produced by such union.
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Working...
      X