This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appropriate Directory for Media Files

I have completed my first sync via DropBox but none of my photos were transferred to Reunion Touch. Under "Photos" on the Reunion Touch help menu I find the following quote:

"Reunion Touch utilizes pictures stored inside the family file on DropBox"

On my Mac I have stored all of my photos in a standalone directory outside of Reunion. In order to load these photos onto Reunion Touch should they be "inside" Reunion?
    ``````````````````````````````
    Grant

Re: Appropriate Directory for Media Files

Your multimedia folder does not need to be in the Dropbox folder to be shared with your mobile device. Reunion 11 creates thumbnails of all linked images, and these thumbnails are stored within the family file. These are the images that are shared with ReunionTouch.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

This is a shot in the dark, but try going to Reunion>Preferences>Multimedia, then click the Rebuild Thumbnails button. Make sure the Remove/Omit option is not chosen.
      Tim Lundin
      Heartland Family Graphics
      http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by gathompson56 View Post
        I have completed my first sync via DropBox but none of my photos were transferred to Reunion Touch.
        ReunionTouch uses the thumbnails stored inside your family file package -- so there is no need to be concerned with the location of the original media items on your Macintosh, unless Reunion can't find the original media files. Which would mean the thumbnails could not be created.

Try this...
        With your family file open in ReunionTouch, tap the tools button and tap "Get Info" -- you will see a thumbnail count.

Do the same in Reunion 11, choose File > Get Info and see what the "Small Thumbnail" count is.
        Gregg Witmer
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
          This is a shot in the dark, but try going to Reunion>Preferences>Multimedia, then click the Rebuild Thumbnails button. Make sure the Remove/Omit option is not chosen.
          done
          Grant

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            ReunionTouch uses the thumbnails stored inside your family file package -- so there is no need to be concerned with the location of the original media items on your Macintosh, unless Reunion can't find the original media files. Which would mean the thumbnails could not be created.

Try this...
            With your family file open in ReunionTouch, tap the tools button and tap "Get Info" -- you will see a thumbnail count.

Do the same in Reunion 11, choose File > Get Info and see what the "Small Thumbnail" count is.
            Reunion 11 shows me with 271 thumbnails, both large and small. ReunionTouch shows zero thumbnails and that they are downloading. I started the sync 4 hours ago.
            Grant

Comment

Reunion 11 shows me with 271 thumbnails, both large and small. ReunionTouch shows zero thumbnails and that they are downloading. I started the sync 4 hours ago.
              Open your family file on the Macintosh, choose File > Sharing Status from the main menubar and click the "Reset Sharing" button. In a few minutes ReunionTouch will update and hopefully get the thumbnail images this time.
              Gregg Witmer
              Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                Open your family file on the Macintosh, choose File > Sharing Status from the main menubar and click the "Reset Sharing" button. In a few minutes ReunionTouch will update and hopefully get the thumbnail images this time.
                I am one of the many that objects to having to post my data on DropBox in order sync to my iPad. I thought that I would be able to simply copy my Reunion file to DropBox and then sync. But from following your steps it appears that I need my working copy on DropBox.

I will give that a try.

Thanks Gregg.
                Grant

Comment

I am one of the many that objects to having to post my data on DropBox in order sync to my iPad.
                  I am one of the many who is terribly impressed that it is possible at all to sync my i phone, i pad, laptop and computer so seamlessly. It is truly amazing!
                  Mary Arthur

Comment

I am one of the many that objects to having to post my data on DropBox in order sync to my iPad. I thought that I would be able to simply copy my Reunion file to DropBox and then sync. But from following your steps it appears that I need my working copy on DropBox.

I will give that a try.

Thanks Gregg.
                    I keep my "real" Reunion family file where ever I want it (my documents folder). Then I COPY it to the dropbox folder, whenever I change it. I wait for that copy to finish being copied to Dropbox's remote cloud, and then I tell my iPad and iPhone to delete their current copy and download a new copy. It's not merely a "sync" any more, they have to re-download the new copy, since it's a new file.

But it CAN be done, if you carefully keep track of what you are doing. It's MY responsibility now, since I insist on not putting my "real" family file in the dropbox folder. (I do know that the dropbox folder is just a folder on my own mac, which happens to also be synced to the cloud.) I like having more redundancy this way.

Just never, ever, ever try to make changes on the iPad or iPhone. They will be lost, using my method. But also, nobody on my iPhone or iPad can accidentally delete a person when I hand them the device to look at my family tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Arthur View Post
                      I am one of the many who is terribly impressed that it is possible at all to sync my i phone, i pad, laptop and computer so seamlessly. It is truly amazing!
                      Hear, hear!

I keep my media files in a Copy.com folder which works well for me.
                      Bradley Jansen
                      OS 10.15.2 on a MacBook Pro using Reunion 12 and ReunionTouch 1.0.9

Comment

I'm trying the "rebuild thumbnails" approach, as the "imported media" directory on my Mac shows NO files in it. ReunionTouch shows a large number of images, but none are actually showing up in the imported file :-( Is there any way to get an idea how long it might take if the images are being imported in the background or any sort of progress display for that process?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hobart View Post
                          I'm trying the "rebuild thumbnails" approach, as the "imported media" directory on my Mac shows NO files in it. ReunionTouch shows a large number of images, but none are actually showing up in the imported file :-( Is there any way to get an idea how long it might take if the images are being imported in the background or any sort of progress display for that process?
                          It looks like rebuilding the multimedia files did the trick. My home page image are now visible in the ReunionTouch version and I've checked a number of other pages. There is no way that I can check all of them readily. The number of multimedia files on ReunionTouch looks correct, but it also looked correct when I had the problem :-( Possibly (note!) the files were not properly converted in the Mac file when it discovered there were a few media files missing, but manually rebuilding the thumbnails did the trick :-(

Comment

Working...
                          X