This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Islands

I have one island left which appears to be my entire family tree. Is this normal or do I have something wrong?

Re: Islands

Originally posted by dawsy View Post
    I have one island left which appears to be my entire family tree. Is this normal or do I have something wrong?
    This is normal.

Bob
    Bob Goode
    Reunion 12.0; ReunionTouch 1.0.8; OS 10.14.2

Comment

I just converted to 11.0.10 and while clicking around to familiarize myself with it and make sure everything works, I discovered Islands. I haven't looked here before, so maybe this has been in my data base for some time.

I have two Islands. One is a single person, that I knew about, disconnected from everyone else in my family tree. That seems to match what the manual says about Islands being disconnected persons.

My other Island though, is an entire branch of my family tree, 2214 people and 12 generations. From my Home family (me) I can navigate up and down this branch of the family, and from the Island, can do the same. These are not disconnected persons.

What am I missing here? Is this a problem in my data base?

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by randy_godfrey View Post
        I have two Islands. One is a single person...[and m]y other Island though, is an entire branch of my family tree, 2214 people and 12 generations...... These are not disconnected persons.

What am I missing here? Is this a problem in my data base?
        Islands are groups of connected people. If two people connect, and don't connect to anyone else, it's an island of two people. If 2214 people connect, and don't connect to anyone else, it's an island of 2214 people.

Islands are connected people. That is, they are groups of people connected to one another, and not connected to other people in the file.

It doesn't sound like there's a problem in your database, it just sounds like you didn't quite grasp the concept of what an island is on first read.

Most people will have one main island (should we dub this the "continent"?) in their database, and several additional islands of people or families whose connection to the main island—if any—is not known.
        Last edited by Dennis J. Cunniff; 14 October 2016, 02:55 PM.
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Thanks Dennis for the reply. Yes, you are correct. My big Island is the "continent" in your definition. Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
          X