This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking photo from ReunionTouch

How does a photo taken from in Reunion Touch get back to my Mac, if the family file only stores thumbnails?

Part 2 to the question: if I am using Method 1 from the FAQ about how to have a read only Reunion Touch (ie my DropBox family file is a COPY of the real thing, a snapshot) can I decide I trust all the changes made, and copy it back to the "real" location, and will the photos taken on Reunion Touch get back to the Mac too?

Re: Taking photo from Reunion Touch

Originally posted by baddorfdeb View Post
    How does a photo taken from in Reunion Touch get back to my Mac, if the family file only stores thumbnails?
    Images added in ReunionTouch are transferred back to the imported media folder on your Macintosh at their full resolution.

...my DropBox family file is a COPY of the real thing... can I decide I trust all the changes made, and copy it back to the "real" location, and will the photos taken on Reunion Touch get back to the Mac too?
    In this scenario, changes made to a copy of your family can't be transferred back to your original family file.
    Gregg Witmer
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Images added in ReunionTouch are transferred back to the imported media folder on your Macintosh at their full resolution.

in this scenario, changes made to a copy of your family can't be transferred back to your original family file.
      If the family file COPY is opened in Reunion 11, a new photo from ReunionTouch would go to the Imported Media folder. Regarding this small piece of the question, would it be correct that you could find this photo in that folder and link to it from the master family file?
      Tim Lundin
      Heartland Family Graphics
      http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
        If the family file COPY is opened in Reunion 11, a new photo from ReunionTouch would go to the Imported Media folder. Regarding this small piece of the question, would it be correct that you could find this photo in that folder and link to it from the master family file?
        Yes, that's a good point.

The person using ReunionTouch with a copy of your family file could add lots of pictures using their device and those pictures would wind up in your Imported Media folder. From there, they could be linked (dragged and dropped, or however you prefer) to your master family file.
        Frank Leister
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Hmm. How about if I delete the originally named "Real" or "Master" family file, and drag the previously named as "Copy" version out of the Dropbox folder and back into my preferred location?

In fact, I haven't changed the name on either copy of the family file. I just make a macintosh folder level copy of the original (option-drag) when I take it to the Dropbox folder -- so that it's a snapshot copy, rather than a move.

If I want to trust it, later on, and keep the changes and the photos made from Reunion Touch --- can I delete (or rename or otherwise hide) the "Original" and drag the Dropbox copy back into my preferred location? It's really identical, after all. Except for the new changes.

[ This assumes that I haven't made changes to the "Master" file in the meanwhile. ]

I mean -- can I then get any new photos without having to find links and do other hard work (which I'm not going to do)?
          Last edited by baddorfdeb; 18 May 2015, 04:41 PM.

Comment

In fact, as far as Reunion knows, maybe I *did* move the "Real" family file to the Dropbox folder, and the snapshot copy is the one sitting behind in the original folder.

While I'm on vacation*, and in charge of changes made on the Reunion Touch apps, I'll trust those changes. When I come back, I'll treat the "home" file as the backup, and the Dropbox file as the "Real Thing".

*I'm vacationing to Mechanicsburg, PA so I'll wave in your direction, Leister!

Comment

...How about if I delete the originally named "Real" or "Master" family file, and drag the previously named as "Copy" version out of the Dropbox folder and back into my preferred location?...
              Yes. This would work. Changes made on devices while the family file was in Dropbox would appear when you first open the family file on the Mac.

Just be very careful keeping track of your family files; always know which family file you're working with and where it's located.

When a family file is open in Reunion, you can Command-click the name of the family file in Reunion's title bar to see exactly where the family file is located.
              Frank Leister
              Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Working...
              X