This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to deal with Note character limit?

Hoped Reunion 11 would address the Note field 64,000 character limit.
    Has anyone a solution to large Note fields? I have hit the limit for many people.

Is there a way, say, of linking an additional *text* file to an individual, even if that file is outside Reunion? Adding a text file to Multimedia doesn't work.

It's also frustrating to continually attempt to add/change/delete info in a Note field only to get, without warning, the pop-up saying the field is limited to 64,000 characters (It's impossible to remember whose Notes are able to edited, whose are over-the-limit) When I get the pop-up, I have to go digging into my document files outside Reunion to find that person's Notes, edit them and copy the entire document back into Reunion. Copying documents into Notes seems to be the only way of skirting the 64K character limit, but it's an overly laborious process to do with each edit.

Is there solution of which I'm unaware? Just a link to a text file outside Reunion?
    Or am I the only person who keeps a lot of info in the Note field : timeline, transcriptions, correspondence, etc.?

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Bonnie

Re: How to deal with Note character limit?

Originally posted by bonniegaia View Post
    Hoped Reunion 11 would address the Note field 64,000 character limit.
    Has anyone a solution to large Note fields? I have hit the limit for many people.

[1] Is there a way, say, of linking an additional *text* file to an individual, even if that file is outside Reunion? Adding a text file to Multimedia doesn't work.

<snip>

[2] Is there solution of which I'm unaware? Just a link to a text file outside Reunion?
    Or am I the only person who keeps a lot of info in the Note field : timeline, transcriptions, correspondence, etc.?

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Bonnie
    Hi Bonnie,

[1] You can add active links to outside web pages in the Notes field. I have active links to their Find A Grave memorial if there is one. Search the manual for notes & go down to #24. Don't know about linking to a file.

[2] Have you looked at the Logs section? Search the manual for log or logs. Each log is also limited to 64,000 characters but, I don't think there is a limit to the number of logs you can create. Also, the logs are not linked to a specific family page. However, they are easy to get to and you could indicate, at the beginning of your notes field(s), that there is a/are log(s) for that family.

Hope these help,
    Kaye
    Last edited by kmgenealogy; 11 May 2015, 07:01 PM.
    Kaye Mushalik
    -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
    -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
    -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Re: How to deal with Note character limit?

Can't you just go into settings FIELDS and create more Notes fields (Note1, Note2, ...)?

Of course, it would be nicer to be able to link out to a MS Word document stored on your computer.

Comment

Working...
      X