This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great job (Dropbox & book)

I'm very happy that the new version of Reunion incorporates many of the changes I've urged (Dropbox, book option, etc.).

Regarding the Dropbox synchronization, it works great keeping my laptop (both drives) and desktop and iPad and iPhone all in sync. One glitch: I gave my cousin (and fellow genealogist) a copy of Reunion for iPad and when I'd visit I'd upload the latest version of my file for her. Now however, the Dropbox synchronization complicates things. Before, I had sole control over any changes to my file (which is what I need). My current choices as I see it would be to:
    1) buy her ReunionTouch and give her the ability sync my file, or
    2) export my current file as a GEDCOM, import it in Reunion 10 and, share as before.
    Would there be any option to share the Reunion 11 file without allowing my cousin to edit my file (she doesn't have a Mac)?

Book option: great first start, but I look forward to more options and flexibility in future upgrades. Ideally, I'd love to be able to export the book in other formats (Word, RTF, Pages) for more design options.

Also, the relative identifier updating effortlessly is great. Lots of other little things were sort of on my "well, it's about time" list, but it just shows how closely you listen to your customers. Very happy to have such a receptive team, thanks!

One possible bug (or more likely user error): my program freezes when I try to copy/paste into notes when the clipboard includes web links. I have to close out the file and re-open it.

Again, thanks for listening!
    Bradley Jansen
    OS 10.15.2 on a MacBook Pro using Reunion 12 and ReunionTouch 1.0.9

Re: Great job (Dropbox & book)! Maybe a bug

Sharing files without sharing editing privileges is something I've given some thought to, but have not actually tried yet.

I believe if your cousin has her own Dropbox account, you can create a folder in your Dropbox (named "Cousin Mary's Folder" or something like that) and share it with her. This will give her access to the contents of this folder, but nothing else in your Dropbox (unlike if you give her access to your actual account info). You can then put a copy of your family file (named "Cousin Mary's Family File, or something like that) into her folder, and she can access it fully.

However, you can keep your master family file elsewhere in your Dropbox where she can't change it.

That's the theory, anyway. If you try it and it works, let me know!
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
      I believe if your cousin has her own Dropbox account, you can create a folder in your Dropbox (named "Cousin Mary's Folder" or something like that) and share it with her. This will give her access to the contents of this folder, but nothing else in your Dropbox (unlike if you give her access to your actual account info). You can then put a copy of your family file (named "Cousin Mary's Family File, or something like that) into her folder, and she can access it fully.

However, you can keep your master family file elsewhere in your Dropbox where she can't change it.

That's the theory, anyway. If you try it and it works, let me know!
      That might work. I don't think she has Dropbox though.
      Bradley Jansen

Comment

Finally got off the dime and shared with my daughter. It works.
        Tim Lundin
        Heartland Family Graphics
        http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
          Finally got off the dime and shared with my daughter. It works.
          Hahaha, thanks!

I do wish there were a way to share the "master" family file without giving editing privileges. I don't offhand know of a better way than you suggest here. And, in full disclosure, I was an early and vocal supporter of Dropbox integration--Reunion just took my idea (syncing between laptop and desktop) and made it "better" with ReunionTouch.
          Last edited by B Jansen; 30 April 2015, 10:41 AM.
          Bradley Jansen

Comment

Working...
          X